παραιτησης

a lifetime of surrender

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Strange Addiction


I just returned from a meeting with a group of local pastors who are part of a growing initiative to create unity of churches in Lake County. This initiative is called CATALYST. It was a great morning as we shared many different things that are going on in each others lives and the lives of their congregation. One pastor shared his grieving process over a man he was mentoring. The man he was mentoring really began to turn his life around and surrender more and more over to God after years of drug addiction and other abuses. The pastor and this man had been developing quite a friendship and relationship with each other in Christ. This past weekend, at the age of 33, this man’s heart gave out and he past away (most likely do to the years of substance abuse).

As a group of pastors it was an awesome experience to lift this man’s family up to God in prayer and do the same for the spirit of grief this pastor was going through. This pastor could say nothing but thank you to Jesus and the rest of our group for spending that brief moment in prayer with him. I believe there was sense of relief that came in that time of prayer.

When the prayer time was done we began an interesting discussion on all the different addictions that can affect each of us. We talked about everything from lust to greed to pride that comes from “victories” in the church. But one thing that was brought up by a pastor in the group that really struck me, was the addition to negativity. I have processed this thought so many time in my life before, but to hear other pastors speak of the same issues was such a relief to me. I can understand the idea that this is such an easy slope to slide down…such an easy trap to find yourself in.

I know that there are things in life that can just complete demoralize us at times…I have been there recently myself. But I love the passage of scripture in Phil. 4 where Paul encourages the Philippian church to rejoice at all times… “4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Our action is to lay everything we have up to God in prayer…to rejoice in Him first through prayer and petition and with thanksgiving…then we will have that supernatural peace that comes from God.

The addiction to negativity is one that I pray we can all avoid…but I think it begins with finding joy in God first and laying our thoughts and attitudes over to Him. When I am anxious and upset and nervous and think things are spinning out of control and then my joy begins to wane…that is a perfect sign that it is time to surrender more over to God.

I pray that we can all find the peace of God…even in the midst of all the darkness that seems to surround us.

2 Comments:

At March 19, 2008 at 12:22 PM , Blogger Scott L said...

When is the next Catalyst pastor get together? I probably should have a sit down with you all soon.

Should have known you'd have verses from Phillipians. Is that the only book of the bible that you know?

Also, what does your blog title mean? When I copied & pasted it to my search engine it displayed pa?a?t?s??. Say What?

 
At March 19, 2008 at 3:23 PM , Blogger Tim Bycroft said...

I don't have my calendar with me right now for the next Catalyst meeting, but I will let you know. It would be great to have you there with us.
It was a toss up between verses from Philippians or quotes from the best movie ever, "Dumb and dumber". However, I do love Paul's letter to those crazy zealous Philippians.
The title is a loose Greek translation for "surrender all".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home